Thursday, August 11, 2011

It's a boy!

I'm writing this 2 days after finding out the baby's gender but better late than never I suppose. I had all but abandoned this blog because it just seems like a waste of time but then I decided it would be nice to just keep it as a personal pregnancy diary to look back on later.

My first ultrasound was Tuesday, Aug 9. I was very excited about it up until about the day before when I suddenly got just really worried. I didn't expect that to happen. I couldn't sleep a wink the night before, I felt like I was waiting for Santa Claus to come give me a final exam or something. Nervous, nervous & excited, what a stressful mix of emotions. Anyways, I was worried the doc would tell me that the baby had a deformity and I would have to deal with a disabled child for the rest of my life.

Chris had to work so he couldn't come with me. I pretty much had nobody to go with, so I called Nana and asked her if she wanted to come. She did. Which made me feel sooooooo much better. I don't think I couldn't handled any bad news on my own, not with all the other shit going on right now. I cried on the way to pick up Nana, I was so damn scared. But she made me feel better. It sucks how when life beats you down, you lose all your confidence and don't even realize it until you're a mess. Luckily, Nana is a strong lady and it rubbed off on me just enough to act normal for my ultrasound appointment.

The office was empty. We had virtually no wait. Nana and I chatted about girly things like pap smears and having babies. She told me how fast her births went, it seemed like it was easy peasy for her. Then we got called in and the girl had me lay on the table and squirted cold gel on my stomach and went right to business. It was cool cause they had a flat screen TV on the wall and we watched the amazing video of the baby.

First of all, I was struck by how well defined the baby was. You could clearly make out the head, belly, spine, arms, legs, feet and hands were all there and clearly defined. I could even see the mouth and nose and eyes! Right off the bat, though - we got the money shot and the technician quickly asked if I wanted to know the baby's gender. I sure did! It was a boy! I honestly thought I would break down and cry no matter what gender I was told but to my surprise I was just plain HAPPY. No tears.

I didn't wanna say anything out loud, but I saw the penis and thought, OMG - is it supposed to be that big already? Highly inapporpriate, I know but still, I know his daddy would have been proud if he saw that. So the little feller didn't really want to be examined and everytime the tech got a good shot of him, he would turn over. He was stretched out from one side of my stomach to the other. She measured his head, heart, arms & legs. I saw his cute little feet together on one end and his fists up by his head at the other end. He almost looked as if he was lounging in bed, like Chris does, with his head reasting on his arm. He is perfectly healthy. Had all his parts in working order, with a strong heartbeat. He weighs 1 lb. 1 oz at 22 weeks and 1 day old.

That was the other news - I was actually further along than previously thought. We originally had a due date of Dec. 19th and I thought I would probably have a cusp or christmas baby. But our due date is now Dec. 12th. Waylon is in the 80th percentile which Vicki found out means that he is bigger than 80 out of 100 babies and smaller than 20. So he is a very good size and not underweight. LOL not MY baby - there's no chance of my baby being underweight as long as I'm around.

I was so damn happy. I was trying not to grin like a fool. I was even happier cause I knew Chris would be really happy it was a boy, that's what we both wanted very badly. I thought about torturing Chris a bit and making him wait until after work to tell him the gender but he called me while Nana and I were having lunch. He sounded rushed and told me his phone was dying (should have charged it the night before big news, but he's just not that thoughtful). I told him I forgot to ask what the gender of the baby was and he was like, Dammit woman, tell me what the baby is! I told him it was a boy - he got what he wanted. Immediately I oculd hear his voice got all choked up and I thought he was going to start crying but then he quickly got off the phone saying he had to go...

That made me even happier. Chris was so happy he got all emotional at work LOL!! I am so glad that I could break such wonderful news to him, the kind of news that overshadows anything bad for a while and brighten up his day.

I brought home the ultrasound photos and the DVD (which was disappointingly short) and told Chris all about the ultrasound. He is a proud papa. We are very very happy. Chris spent the rest of the evening telling all his friends and family all about it.

So, now officially - little Waylon James Thomas Harmon is waiting to be born.

1 comment:

  1. omg I cannot BELIEVE you are going to be someone's mother, much less to a little son!!!!!! I am sooo excited to see pictures of your most perfect work of art yet. ^_^
    <3 pixiefer

    ReplyDelete