Saturday, May 28, 2011

She's Crafty!

At this point, Chris and I strongly suspect that my mother knows everything and is now just torturing us. Today she mentioned several times about Chris "one day" being a father, and "what if" I was pregnant... The first time she said anything was this morning while we were opening the restaurant, and aimed directly at Chris. She said something along the lines of "If you're going to be a father, you need to help Heather carry bags...etc..." The look on Chris's face was absolutely priceless. I can't even get a look like that out of him! It was a cross between a deer caught in headlights and a man being sentenced by a judge. I couldn't help but laugh as he looked at me desperately without knowing how the hell to respond to her. Then when she turned around, he mouthed the words, "She Knows!!" The man is scared.

So yeah, mom is dropping hints (I believe) about me being pregnant and Chris being a daddy. Well, at least it wont come as a total surprise. I still have no clue how she will react and I'm not going to hold any silly hopes or naive preconceptions about her reaction. All I know is I can't let her spoil the happiest moment of my life, and if she does I most certainly will never forgive her for it. For that reason, she is the last person on earth to be privy to the news. Shame, isn't it? That's what happens when you torment your daughter all her life.

Speaking of daughters, I think I really like the name Natalie. And I heard it means born around Christmas...which I should look up on the million baby name websites that exist out there. Yep it means born on Christmas day, which could happen cause my due date is December 19. I'm kind of hoping for a cusp baby though. Another cool fact is if the baby is born on December 21, it'll be born on the winter solstice, which is exactly 6 months from my birthday on the summer solstice. Now if it turns out to be a boy, his name has already been picked out and chiseled into stone. Chris knew from the day I told him I was pregnant that his son would be named Waylon Thomas. I had no clue who the country singer he was talking about was, but apparently he's naming the child after Waylon Jennings, who sings "Mama don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys" and the theme song to Dukes of Hazzard (which was one of my favorite shows growing up). After hearing his music, I like him too. He has a very mellow soothing voice. I'm kind of fond of the name Waylon Thomas, so that's what the boy's name will be.

I signed up for a pregnancy newsletter called The Bump and every week they send me an email update about my baby in the womb. I think they are going a little too fast for me because the last email was talking about my 11th week and how the baby is the size of a lime now, with fingers and toes formed and hair, tooth and nail follicles forming. The size of a lime! It seems like just a few days ago it was the size of a kidney bean. This newsletter is making everything go too fast! I can't believe that I'm almost done with the first trimester. It's not incredibly obvious that I'm pregnant, either. I've only gained about 5-8 lbs so far (all in the belly, but still not that much), I'm not terribly tired all the time (OK, I am, but not in the pregnant way), and I have no morning sickness or weird cravings for pickles with ice cream and peanut butter. Well, maybe I kinda do crave those things a little bit, but not all together at the same time. If it weren't for the total lack of periods, I wouldn't even know I was pregnant.

Well, it's about 3:30 am and I really should try to sleep so off I go to bed. Chris likes to sleep with the table fan on mach 4 setting and it's like trying to sleep in a tornado for me. Hopefully he'll be sound asleep so I can turn the damn thing down.

No comments:

Post a Comment