Friday, June 17, 2011

Texas, finally!

Well, it's been a few days since we got into Texas and this is the first time I've really had a chance to get online. It was very scary when we got onto the road leaving Atlanta with my 1997 Mazda MPV Sport loaded down and hitched to a 5 x 8 u-haul trailer. We did do one smart thing: we got a nice, custom trailer hitch for the Mazda. What we messed up on was taking the chance that the old cruddy tires on the Mazda would take us 1,000 miles hauling probably about 5,000 lbs. It was a little nerve wracking to say the least, when I pulled out onto the road and it felt like the car just didn't have the strength to go. But it did. We were so tense leaving Atlanta, I honestly didn't think we were gonna make it. I expected to get into a huge wreck and be stranded in the middle of nowhere. I had a death grip on the wheel the entire way to Texas, so my whole body was just tense as a bowstring.

We thought we were home-free when we stopped in Montgomery, Alabama. It was our first planned long rest stop, which we rested for a good 20 minutes before we got too anxious to wait any longer. I couldn't drive the Mazda any faster than 60 mph, had to put it down a gear just to make it up a hill at 45 mph. Then, just when we started to relax a little with a little hope that we might actually make it, the rear passenger tire gave out with a bang and I had to pull over to the side of I-65, about 30 miles south of Montgomery.

I have a AAA Plus membership (Auto Club South) that didn't really do us much good. They could tow us, but they couldn't take us to anyplace that was open and could fix our tire. They also couldn't bring us a tire and fix it for us either. They couldn't tow our trailer (which Chris was not about to leave on the side of the interstate), so they were pretty much useless to our situation. Luckily, the AAA customer service girl looked up a local tire service shop in Montgomery that could come out and fix our tire, but they weren't covered by AAA so it would be entirely out of pocket. We had no choice. I called up Black's Tire Service and they came out in about an hour with two new back tires for us. The guys that came out were pretty backwoods, but they got the job done and we were grateful. And now broke.

Other than that, we made it to San Antonio with just a drop of gas left in our tank and throughly exhausted. But we made it, and we were finally happy and relieved. Even though I am still exhausted 3 days later, I feel like a new person and I am so much happier! We are staying with my brother-in-law until we find a place and it's been nice getting here while my nieces are here visiting their father. We spent last night at Chris's sisters house in Boerne and it was very nice to see how happy Chris was to see his family again after a year of being away. His nieces were excited about meeting Bibi and the cat, which we left the cat with them. We also visited with Chris's mom, who was happy to see her son and me again. It was all a very nice welcome home!

I don't really have a lot of time and access to the internet at the moment so I wont be blogging very much for the time being so the posts may get a little sparse, but I will update as much as I can.

About the pregnancy; hopefully I didn't permanently screw up my kid from all the caffeine I consumed on the way here, but it sure is growing cause I am getting FAT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment